Responding to national consultations and Calls for Evidence is an important role for the NNPCF. In doing so the Steering Group draws upon the experiences of parent carers from local forums and regional network meetings working together to effect local and national service improvement through participation and co-production.
Whenever we formulate a consolidated response to any national consultation, we publish them here. Whilst we cannot be aware of every consultation taking place in each Local Authority, we aim to keep up to date with what is happening at a national level.
From time to time we will make parent carers, parent carer forums, and our regional networks aware of any national consultations, including links to them, via email or through our social media platforms as well as posting those information requests on this page.
Current open consultations:
Independent Review of Children Social Care
National Strategy for Disabled People
Reforming the Mental Health Act
National response in development:
- Home to school travel and transport: statutory guidance (consultation): This consultation is looking at a revised statutory guidance for local authorities on Home to school travel and transport for children of compulsory school age (5-16). This consultation is now closed
- Restraint in mainstream settings and alternative provision: The Government has recently published guidance on reducing the need for restraint and restrictive intervention in special schools and health and social care settings. This guidance aims to help settings adopt a preventative approach to supporting children and young people whose behaviour challenges as a result of learning disabilities, autistic spectrum conditions or mental health difficulties. This consultation is now closed
- Camhs/Mental Health Survey: This is a forum Survey to help us gather information to aid our position around the NHS England Long Term Plan. This consultation is now closed
- SEND financial arrangements 2019 (Call For Evidence): This call for evidence intends to focus on understanding how current funding is distributed, including how it enables mainstream schools to make provision for their pupils with additional needs, and on improvements that could be taken forward in future.
The National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) would like to understand the views and experiences of parent carer forums and the impact that pressures on SEN funding is having on our communities of families.This consultation is now closed.
- Children not in school: This is a follow-up to the consultation and call for evidence on elective home education held in 2018. It is looking for views on the proposed legislation to create a register maintained by local authorities of children not attending mainstream schools, together with associated duties on parents and certain educational settings. It is also looking at proposed legislation to establish a duty to support parents who educate children at home and seek support from their local authority in doing so. This consultation is now closed.
The Disability Unit at Cabinet Office is developing a National Stratgey for Disabled People, which publication planned for Spring 2021. The Disability Unit has launched the UK Disability Survey (link below) and we want to hear from as many people as possible. We are particularly keen to hear from disabled people, their carers, friends and family but views from the wider public are also very welcome. The survey will remain open until 23rd April, and all views will be used to shape the delivery of the plans we set out in the Strategy with those that we receive by 13th February informing its development. https://disabilityunit.citizenspace.com/cabinet-office/ukdisabilitysurvey/
We’ve tried to make sure the survey which is hosted on Citizen Space is as accessible as possible. It is available in Easy Read, BSL and written responses can be sent to: DUCitizenspace@cabinetoffice.gov.uk. A braille version is available on request and blind or partially sighted people who are having difficulty filling in the online survey can email RNIB for advice or support at: email@example.com.
Other consultations that PCFs may want to respond to or share with their communities:
- Consultation announced to improve learning disabilities staff training – Department of Health & Social Care
- Children and young people with disabilities & severe complex needs: integrated health & social care support & service guidance – NICE
If you want to read any of the consultation outcomes they can be found on the Gov.uk website here.
NNPCF Consultation Responses:
Post-16 study at level 2 and below: call for evidence
- NNPCF response Mandatory minimum per pupil funding levels (October 2019)
- National Audit Office Inquiry (December 2018)
- Reviewing the outcomes and support of Children in Need
- Independent Advice & Support Minimum Standards Consultation
- NNPCF Response to Post 18 Education Call for Evidence (May 2018)
- NNPCF School Exclusions Review Response (May 2018)
- NNPCF Consultation Response on the Social Work England: Consultation on Secondary Legislative Framework (March 2018)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Children and Young People Mental Health Green Paper (February 2018)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to Department of Transport Blue Badge Eligibility Consultation (February 2018)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to Working Together to Safeguard Children: Changes to Statutory Guidance (December 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Learning Disability and Challenging Behaviour Draft Guideline (November 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response – Reformed Functional Skills Mathematics and English Subject Content (October 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response – Returning to Work after Time out for Caring (October 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the London Mayor’s Vision for London (September 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the London Assembly SEND Investigation (September 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Rochford Review Recommendations (June 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Exclusions Guidance (April 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Child Abuse and Neglect Draft Guideline (April 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Child and Family Social Work National Assessment and Accreditation System (March 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Lenehan Review of Experiences and Outcomes in Residential Special Schools and Colleges (March 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the High Needs Funding Reforms – Stage 2 (March 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Schools National Funding Formula – Stage 2 (March 2017)
- NNPCF-Response-to-Government-Consultation-on-an-Early-Years-National-Funding-Formula (March 2017)
- NNPCF Consultation Response to the Work, Health and Disability Green Paper: Improving Lives (February 2017)
- NNPCF Response to the Children and Young People Mental Health Green Paper (February 2017)
- NNPCF Consultaion Response to the Commons Select Committee Inquiry: Children and Young People with Mental Health issues – role of education (January 2017)