The independent review of children’s social care has published its case for change. You can find it here:
On Thursday 24th June at noon, Josh MacAlister, the independent chair of the review, will be joining an NNPCF and Contact webinar to talk about the case for change and what it means for children and young people with SEND.
You can sign up to the webinar here: Meeting Registration – Zoom
The NNPCF have been working with Josh and the review team to ensure that the issues most important to SEND families are included in the review.
Many of the issues we have raised with the review team are included for example:
· There is a recognition that families need support rather than “investigation”
· The inconsistency in classifying children with disabilities as Children in Need
· The lack of appropriate support for families with children with disabilities is noted
In addition, man y of the major themes that we have raised with the SEND review are also recognised in the report, for example:
· The need for a better definition of what early help and intervention (family support) is available
· The need for more multi-agency working
· The financial pressures on the children’s social care system
You can find out more about our work with the review team here: NNPCF input into children’s social care review – National Network of Parent Carer Forums C.I.C